- Ontario, Oregon
- Annual Salary $40,000.00
- Job ID
Flight Instructor job at Treasure Valley Community Colleg in Ontario OR
Description, duties, responsibilities
This full-time staff position will serve as the lead Fixed Wing instructor responsible for the flight and ground instruction of Private Pilot students in the Aviation Applied Science program with Treasure Valley Community College (TVCC). This person will report to the TVCC Aviation Director on all aspects of instruction and operations. Provides flight, simulator, and ground instruction in accordance with Part 61, FAA regulations, Airmen’s Information Manual, advisory circulars, airport operations, and Treasure Valley Community College (TVCC) policies and procedures.
- Provide ground instruction in classroom, at aircraft site for pre-flight and post-flight training, and on computer-based training program(s) as needed.
- Provide direct instruction in aircraft for each non-solo student flight, up to 65 hours per assigned student per term for Private Pilot Rating.
- Perform flight instructor duties authorized by the Federal Aviation Regulations in accordance with the approved Training Course Outline.
- Schedule aircraft operations for flight training.
- Schedule students, maintain records, and ensure that course standards, training requirements, and objectives are met by each student in each flight course.
- Contact and meet with potential new students.
- Conduct tours of facilities and familiarize students with TVCC policies, procedures, and flight training courses.
- Support and participate in the TVCC Aviation Safety Management System and ensure students understand and practice all aspects of ASMS.
- Regularly schedule each assigned student to ensure satisfactory progress through the course and immediately inform supervisor of any delays in training or satisfactory progress.
- Responsible for the timely course completion of all flight students assigned, including completion of required paperwork.
- File incident reports as necessary to report any observed safety violations, or situations that may affect the safety of flight.
- Attend administrative, standardization, in-service training, and instructor development meetings as assigned.
To be eligible for the position of Flight Instructor the incumbent must hold at a minimum an FAA issued Flight Instructor Certificate, Airplane; in addition, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
A. Hold a commercial pilot certificate or an airline transport pilot certificate. The certificate must contain the appropriate aircraft category and class ratings for airplane single engine land and instrument rating; and
B. Meet the pilot-in-command flight experience requirements of 14 CFR •61 for recent flight experience under 61.57., and
C. Be proficient on instructional skills and ability to train students on the flight procedures and maneuvers appropriate to the TVCC Aviation program; and
D. Hold a current Class 1, 2, or 3 Medical; or self-certify under Basic Medical rules.
E. Maintain CFI credentials and medical certificates appropriate for airplane, single engine instruction that may result in student completion of private pilot ratings.
F. Maintain proficiency as PIC in several make/models aircraft used in TVCC flight instruction.
Associate of Arts/Science degree in any major emphasis and industry experience with flight and ground instruction experience. CFI – Instrument; and CFI – Glider are also desirable for this program of instruction.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Safety-first attitude.
- Imparting excitement and enthusiasm into teaching.
- Adapting to a variety of teaching situations and learning styles.
- Communicating effectively in oral and written English.
- Aircraft piloting skills, including familiarity with and ability to perform required flight maneuvers and procedures.
- Knowledge of appropriate Federal Aviation Regulations and related administrative and operational procedures and requirements.
- Ability to work well under pressure in fast-paced and noisy environment while exercising sound judgment at all times.
- Perform an average of 40 instructional hours per two-week period utilizing a flex-time, on-demand schedule.
- Maintain 80% pass rate for assigned student’s final review and stage checks.
Flight instructors will not exceed 12 hours worked including no more than 6 hours’ flight instruction given during a single duty day. All instructors are required to take a minimum of two days off within every 14 consecutive day period.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a full-time, Professional, exempt position with benefits, including family medical insurance, paid leave, and Oregon retirement plan. Annual salary is $40,000.
Normal work week is 40 hours, 8:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday. Additional hours/days worked specifically for flight instruction may be paid on an hourly basis at $25.00 per hour.
A complete application file consists of the following:
- A letter of interest stating how you are qualified to perform the duties of the position;
- A resume;
- College transcripts, if any (copies are acceptable at this time);
- A TVCC application for employment. A pdf fillable application may be downloaded at www.tvcc.cc About TVCC > Jobs at TVCC > Current Openings.
- If applicable, a completed DD Form 214 in order to establish veteran preference per OAR 839-006-0445 and OAR 839-006-0450(3).
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position will remain open until filled. All application materials should be submitted or mailed to: Human Resources, Treasure Valley Community College, 650 College Boulevard, Ontario, OR 97914.
Please reference Avjobs when applying for this position.
Treasure Valley Community Colleg Company Overview
Treasure Valley Community College (TVCC) welcomes you to Ontario, where Oregon begins! TVCC was founded in 1962 and is located on a 90-acre campus near the center of Ontario, Oregon. TVCC offers approximately 49 AA/AS degrees, 17 AAS degrees, 13 pro-tech certificates, and community education classes to its 3700 students. The Aviation Applied Science program is a fast growing division within the Career and Technical Education (CTE) department at TVCC. TVCC currently employs about 140 full-time faculty and staff.