Chief Legal Counsel Featured
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- Job ID
Chief Legal Counsel job at PSA Airlines in Charlotte NC
Description, duties, responsibilities
Let your career take off with PSA Airlines
Company Summary: As a wholly owned subsidiary of American Airlines and the fastest growing regional airline in the country PSA offers a stable career path in aviation with unparalleled opportunities for growth and professional development. Teamwork and drive are at the heart of PSA. We are committed to growing our company where passion is shared professional excellence is expected and all people are valued and respected.
Our employees are committed to ensuring safe and reliable operations for the thousands of customers American trusts us with each and every day. We have an incredible team of more than 4000 employees who do a tremendous job of operating more than 800 daily flights to nearly 100 destinations on behalf of American Airlines. Our immense growth provides a number of opportunities to join our team.
Culture: Not only is PSA an EEO and AAP employer but also we seek to create an inclusive work environment where diverse perspectives and experiences are embraced and respected. We work hard to build and sustain a culture where people – team members and customers alike – feel safe secure and happy. It is The PSA Way which focuses on our goals safety respect preparedness professional excellence and passion. This foundation reflects how we think act and communicate with one another and our customers.
Charlotte NC – Charlotte hosts one of PSAs senior bases. It is the largest city in the state of North Carolina and the third-fastest growing major city in the United States. Nicknamed the “Queen City” this city upholds rich history and southern hospitality. You will enjoy the food scene art and history. Home of the Carolina Panthers Charlotte Motor Speedway NASCAR Hall of Fame and Carolinas Aviation Museum this city offers an abundance of activities.
PSA offers the benefits you expect from a company focused on excellence. All eligible employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including:
• Travel privileges on the American Airlines global network
• A generous vacation plan designed to let you enjoy your travel perks
• Medical Dental & Vision
• 401k with company match
• American Airlines Group (AAG) profit-sharing and bonus opportunities
• Company-paid Group Life and AD&D Insurance Short and Long-term Disability Flexible Spending Plan (FSA) and supplementary options
The Chief Legal Counsel will directly impact PSA airlines as a key role in setting the philosophy and vision for in-house legal matters including Employment and Labor Relations within PSA. This role works at both a tactical and strategic level to develop and oversee labor relations of over 3500 represented employees in collaboration with four labor unions. The Chief Legal Counsel will act as in-house legal counsel with emphasis on all aspects of labor and employment. Reporting to the Vice President Human Resources and working closely with key senior business leaders this role will play a key role as a strategic business partner.
• Provide legal advice and counsel to management and Human Resources regarding interpretation and compliance with collective bargaining agreements new and existing labor laws and related regulations and guidance.
• Provide representation and/or management of matters for the Company before state and federal courts and administrative agencies as well as in mediations and arbitrations under the Companys union grievance procedures.
• Acts as the chief spokesperson and negotiator for 4 collective bargaining agreements.
• Coordinates with senior leadership human resources operating departments finance outside counsel and local management in preparing negotiation strategy and proposals to determine collective bargaining agreement cost feasibility and effect on operations.
• Handles grievance proceedings labor arbitrations and provides counsel with respect to relevant laws and policies or works with outside counsel in such matters.
• Develops Labor Relations programs tools and resources incorporating best practice from operations to serve as resources for leader support in the creation of alignment consistency and accountability in the management of labor issues.
• Develops sustainable relationships with senior management in order to facilitate effective dialogue to address and resolve issues and proactively implement effective workplace practices.
• Identifies best practices and emerging issues in the area of labor relations and incorporate best practices into current strategy and practices as appropriate.
• Cost-effectively manage employment litigation and other costs and productively and collaboratively interface with outside counsel. Interface with and manage outside counsel as needed.
• Manage legal risks and provide solutions for resolving employment disputes.
• Oversee and direct the Employee Relations team in the management of internal investigations related to employee discipline labor relations legal compliance and other labor and employment matters.
• Create and implement proactive tools for various HR regulatory compliance areas including Title VII DOT FMLA FLSA ADA FCRA OFCCP ADEA USERRA (including state counterparts) state and federal employment discrimination statutes etc.
• Develops and reports on meaningful metrics or KPIs to measure the employee environment (labor and employee relations issues).
• Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department and company.
• Responsible for the Companys Security and Safety Management System (SMS) and associated Safety Risk Management and Safety Assurance outputs.
• In absence the Vice President of Human Resources and Inflight will handle delegation of duties
• Juris Doctor (J.D.) active member in good standing in at least one State bar
• At least five (5) years of successful experience in labor and/or employment law
• Arbitration experience
• Extensive labor and/or employment litigation experience
• Experience in working with unionized workforce and directly with union leadership
• Knowledge labor costing and modeling
• Excellent analytical skills and the ability to render persuasive diplomatic practical creative and always legally compliant advice in a timely fashion
• Excellent written and oral communication skills especially of complex issues and attention to detail and accuracy
• If not currently residing in Charlotte willingness to relocate.
• Must be able to read write speak English
• Must be able to demonstrate that you are authorized to work in the US
• First chair labor and employment litigation experience preferred
• First chair arbitration experience preferred
• A combination of experience at a national law firm and in-house is preferred
To be successful at PSA you should be:
• Engaging Communicator
To be successful in this position you should be great at:
• Strong communication (verbal and written)
• Project management
• Problem solving
• Conflict Resolution
• Driving Excellence
• Facilitating Change
• Strategic Thinking
Supervisory Responsibility: This is a supervisory position
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers telephones photocopiers facsimile machines and filing cabinets.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role; however the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb up and down stairs; lift weight up to 25 lbs; use hands to finger handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Security Clearance: All employees are required to pass the fingerprint-based criminal history records check (CHRC) per 49CFR1542.209 as well as a pre-employment drug screen.
AAP/EEO Statement: PSA Airlines is an equal opportunity employer; qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race color creed religion sex (including pregnancy gender identity and sexual orientation) national origin citizenship status age disability genetic information protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requisition ID: 2021-2747
Street: 4800 Hangar Road
PSA Airlines Company Overview
PSA Airlines operates an all-jet fleet consisting of exclusively Bombardier regional jet aircraft. We have an incredible team of more than 3900 employees who do a tremendous job of operating more than 800 daily flights to nearly 100 destinations on behalf of American Airlines. Headquartered in Dayton Ohio PSA also has flight crew bases located in Dayton Cincinnati Ohio Knoxville Tennessee Washington D.C. Charlotte North Carolina Philadelphia Pennsylvania and Norfolk Virginia. PSA has maintenance facilities in Akron-Canton Airport (CAK) Charlotte-Douglas International Airport (CLT) Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP) Norfolk International Airport (ORF) Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport (SAV)Pensacola Florida (PNS) and Dayton International Airport (DAY). PSA operates 35 Bombardier CRJ200 aircraft 41 Bombardier CRJ700 aircraft and 54 Bombardier CRJ900 aircraft. The airline expects to add additional aircraft bringing its fleet count to 150.