Avionics Electrical Systems Director Featured
- Englewood, Colorado
- Job ID
Avionics Electrical Systems Director job at Boom Supersonic in Englewood CO
Description, duties, responsibilities
Boom Supersonic is a Denver-based company redefining commercial flight by bringing supersonic flight back to the skies with Overture. This historic airliner is designed and committed to industry-leading standards of speed safety and sustainability. Boom s vision is to bring families businesses and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Boom is the first commercial airplane manufacturer to commit to a carbon-neutral flight test program and to build sustainability into its entire aircraft program. The company is backed by world-class investors and has 30 aircraft on pre-order. Founded in 2014 Boom has assembled a team of over 150 full-time employees who have made contributions to over 220 air and spacecraft programs.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Come join the team and help us make aviation history!
Avionics / Electrical Systems Director
As part of a hardworking and accomplished team of specialists you will lead the Avionics / Electrical Systems organization within Boom s Engineering team reporting directly to the Vice President of Engineering. The Avionics Electrical Systems organization is dedicated to the science and implementation of aircraft systems (Integrated Modular Avionics Flight Management System Head Down/Up Displays Centralized Data Network Inertial Navigation Communication Data Recording etc).
As Director of Avionics / Electrical Systems you will guide a team of leaders and individual contributors. You will coordinate the deployment of your team across diverse business units and program(s). This will include adapting to their changing needs and resolving sophisticated issues that arise from contending priorities. Additionally you will be responsible for handling overall performance of the team including technical capabilities design certification identifying and filling skill gaps budgets conducting performance merit and promotion assessments. You will help guide the advancement of team members careers through mentoring and the alignment of work assignments with team member goals. Additionally you ensure the work products meet quality standards of the company.
You will share in the teams impact of development activities as we help business units achieve their mission! This position will directly impact the history of aerospace by bringing back supersonic flight to civilians. It will require your dedicated and detailed attention towards safe supersonic flight.
On any given day you might:
- Direct efforts and oversee the internal teams related to Integrated Modular Avionics Flight Management System Head Down/Up Displays Centralized Data Network Inertial Navigation Communication Data Recording etc
- Provide subject matter expert level technical leadership mentoring and guidance on both practical and theoretical aspects
- Provide direction on validation and verification of systems requirements
- Ensure timely and accurate delivery of system level certification and documentation
- Oversee and direct a team monitoring tasks and ensuring on schedule delivery
- Facilitate communication discussion decision making and conflict resolution
- Manage the scheduling budget resources and suppliers
- Report status to ensure milestones are met in support of the overall program schedule
- Support the annual planning process including working with business unit customers to forecast the mechanical systems demand across the company.
- Provide tools processes and resources required to meet the different Mechanical Systems needs for the different programs and business units.
- Leverages advanced principles theories and concepts of complex technical subjects to provide direction for employees
- Provide requirements (demand allocation budget facility planning) to build and execute testing in a shared Avionics Electrical Mechanical systems Hardware-in-the-loop laboratory environment
- Ensures proper identification and management of risks opportunities assumptions and dependencies on supported projects
- Development of technical capabilities roadmaps technology roadmaps and other forward thinking strategic artifacts for the mechanical engineering team
- Develop the directorate s vision/aspiration objectives goals and metrics
- Author job descriptions and lead all aspects of the hiring process to achieve the demands of your internal customers within the constraints of the business. This includes both direct hire and contingent labor
- Manage director reports including performance evaluations facilitate career growth opportunities and handle the compensation/promotion process
- Embody promote and mentor the Boom leadership principles and culture
- B.S. degree in Engineering or equivalent
- 15+ years of demonstrated experience managing technical teams and/or leading functional groups with responsibility for technical quality of work delivered and career management of employees and experience in system formulation development and/or operations with technical experience in three or more of the following subject areas: Integrated Modular Avionics Flight Management System Head Down/Up Displays Centralized Data Network Inertial Navigation Communication Data Recording etc.
- Previous project leadership or engineering management experience
- Experience in transitioning hardware/systems from design and development to manufacturing operations
- Previous project leadership or engineering management experience
- Ability to earn trust maintain positive and professional relationships and contribute to building a positive culture of inclusion and diversity
- Start to finish CFR Part 23 or Part 25 aircraft certification program
- M.S. degree in Engineering or equivalent
- FAA Designated Engineering Representative
- Recent experience in developing aircraft level systems and requirements from concept through certification strongly desired
- Must be able to demonstrate a clear understanding knowledge and ability to define requirements generate architecture and achieve compliance
- Strong customer focus with experience in a global environment working with customers and suppliers
- Strong/proven problem-solving skills across multi-disciplinary skill sets
- Strategic leader with very strong decision making and communication skills
- Base salary range for this position is $190000- $235000 and is based upon years of experience that is commensurate with the level of the position
- Robust equity program with significant upside potential
- Open PTO
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR) applicant must be a U.S. citizen lawful permanent resident of the U.S. protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C 1324b(a)(3) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
This role may involve exposure to ITAR/EAR regulated materials. Do you currently or in the future will you need the company to sponsor you to work in the United States?
Are you legally authorized to work in the U.S.?
U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment Information (Completion is voluntary)
Individuals seeking employment at Boom Supersonic are considered without regards to race color religion national origin age sex marital status ancestry physical or mental disability veteran status gender identity or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping reporting and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
Gender Please select Are you Hispanic/Latino? Please select Race and Ethnicity Definitions
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A disabled veteran is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military ground naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A recently separated veteran means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veterans discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military ground naval or air service.
An active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military ground naval or air service during a war or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An Armed forces service medal veteran means a veteran who while serving on active duty in the U.S. military ground naval or air service participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.
Veteran Status Please select
OMB Control Number 1250-0005
Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability
Why are you being asked to complete this form?
We are a federal contractor or subcontractor required by law to provide equal employment opportunity to qualified people with disabilities. We are also required to measure our progress toward having at least 7% of our workforce be individuals with disabilities. To do this we must ask applicants and employees if they have a disability or have ever had a disability. Because a person may become disabled at any time we ask all of our employees to update their information at least every five years.
Identifying yourself as an individual with a disability is voluntary and we hope that you will choose to do so. Your answer will be maintained confidentially and not be seen by selecting officials or anyone else involved in making personnel decisions. Completing the form will not negatively impact you in any way regardless of whether you have self-identified in the past. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of federal contractors under Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act visit the U.S. Department of Labor s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp .
How do you know if you have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include but are not limited to:
- Autoimmune disorder for example lupus fibromyalgia rheumatoid arthritis or HIV/AIDS
- Blind or low vision
- Cardiovascular or heart disease
- Celiac disease
- Cerebral palsy
- Deaf or hard of hearing
- Depression or anxiety
- Gastrointestinal disorders for example Crohns Disease or irritable bowel syndrome
- Intellectual disability
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Nervous system condition for example migraine headaches Parkinson s disease or Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Psychiatric condition for example bipolar disorder schizophrenia PTSD or major depression
Disability Status Please select
1 Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors visit the U.S. Department of Labors Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp .
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
Boom Supersonic Company Overview
The following jobs have been promoted on the Aviation Ad Network and are to be considered - current, newsworthy aviation employment information (FYI). No guarantee is made as to the accuracy, completeness or timeliness of any information, projections or opinions in announcements obtained through the promoted jobs. The information contained in this announcement is compiled for the convenience of site visitors and is accepted by the site visitor on the condition that errors or omissions are not the responsibility of Avjobs and shall not be made the basis for any claim, demand or cause of action. Please visit this companys web site for additional details and information. Please reference Avjobs when applying.