Experienced Production Electrostatic Discharge Engineer Featured
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Job ID
Experienced Production Electrostatic Discharge Engineer job at Boeing in New Orleans LA
Description, duties, responsibilities
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
The Boeing Defense, Space & Security (BDS) team is seeking an Experienced Production Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) Engineer located in New Orleans, LA. The selected candidate will support the Space Launch System (SLS) program, which is building the world’s largest rocket for human exploration of deep space. The ESD engineer will be responsible for coordination, development, and implementation of ESD controls and processes in alignment with the SLS requirements. This role will require promoting ESD awareness and help drive cultural improvements to our human spaceflight program. We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality. This role will require familiarity with recognized industry, space, and military ESD control specifications (e.g. ANSI/ESD S20.20, JESD 625, MIL-STD-1686, NASA-HDBK-8739.21, etc.).
Supplemental stretch assignments are likely in the areas of identification, analysis, coordination, application, and verification of various communication systems, avionics installations, electromagnetic systems, and components to ensure compliance with system performance Electromagnetic Environmental Effects (E3) requirements
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Understand and be able to use basic ESD measurement equipment (e.g. electrostatic field meters, high resistance meters, surface resistivity meters, event detectors, ground integrity meters, charge plate monitors, data loggers, etc.).
- Perform ESD overstress analyses based on re-creations of suspect ESD events taking into account ESD item sensitivities when necessary.
- Supervise the installation and movement of a variety of ESD equipment.
- Train others on ESD handling & awareness curriculum.
- Learn, review, and execute contract ESD requirements.
- Interface with customers on ESD issues and challenge customer ESD findings, when required. Be ESD focal point during all customer, and 3rd party audits.
- Understand all major ESD models (e.g. human body model [HBM], charged device model [CDM], machine model [MM], hand-metal HBM, charged board events, cable discharge events) and their application to production processes, overstress analyses, ESD failures, product design requirements, and mitigation opportunities.
- Conducting simple testing of process or materials for electrical failure modes and Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) control.
- Interfacing and coordination across multiple disciplines including materials, liaison, safety, quality and manufacturing engineers for the installation of hardware, work order planning, disposition of noncompliance, and verification of technical solutions/design.
- Development of trade studies including survivability, cost, weight, and technical risk.
- Definition of and participation in production integration to verify electrical bonding and other E3 requirements are met to ensure compliance.
- Works well with minimal supervision and ability to mentor others.
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate will be required to work onsite at the listed location.
The position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry
- 3+ years of experience with electrical/electronic schematics and drawings
- 1+ years of experience in measuring voltage, current and resistance
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience with electrical systems, including testing and troubleshooting
- Experience handling Electrostatic Sensitive Devices (ESD) hardware and its related processes
- Experience in NASA Space programs or a related Space or Defense program
- Experience with EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility), EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) or E3 (Electromagnetic Environmental Effects)
Typical Education/Experience :
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 5 or more years related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD, Master+3 years related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
This position is for 1st shift.
This is a sensitive/safety-sensitive position and is subject to NASA (DOT) random drug and alcohol testing.
This position requires the ability to obtain access to a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) facility. Access to the facility requires a background investigation by U.S. Government authorities.
Referral Bonus :
Referrals to this job are eligible for a monetary employee bonus.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Boeing Company Overview
Boeing is the worlds largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial jetliners and defense space and security systems. As Americas biggest manufacturing exporter the company supports airlines and U.S. and allied government customers in more than 150 countries. Boeing products and tailored services include commercial and military aircraft satellites weapons electronic and defense systems launch systems advanced information and communication systems and performance-based logistics and training.