Aircraft Mechanic 1 sheetmetal Featured
- Ft Bragg, North Carolina
- Job ID
Aircraft Mechanic 1 sheetmetal job at Amentum in Ft Bragg NC
Description, duties, responsibilities
The Sheet-Metal Mechanic Maintenance fabricates installs and maintains in good repair the sheet-metal equipment and fixtures (such as machine guards grease pans shelves lockers tanks ventilators chutes ducts metal roofing) of an establishment. Work involves most of the following: planning and laying out all types of sheet-metal maintenance work from blueprints models or other specifications setting up and operating all available types of sheet-metal working machines using a variety of hand tools in cutting bending forming shaping fitting and assembling and installing sheet-metal articles as required.
- Read and analyzes work request and applicable specifications or similar work data. Develop
and draw working sketches showing view section or profile.
- Manufactures and fabricates aircraft sheet metal parts panels doors etc. from various serviced aircraft. Such aircraft articles have numerous combined straight and curved edges or irregular curves and planes such as fuselage door assemblies windshield panel angles washers firewalls and straight brackets. Such sheet metal stock/parts/items consist of various types of metal e.g. steel stainless steel aluminum corrugated aluminum titanium iron brass copper magnesium rubber plastic plexiglass fiberglass etc. Determines type and extent of repair or replacement required type of material and repair methods to use. Lays out cuts forms joins assembles and installs items.
- Develops parts and templates from prints drawings or original parts to produce repair parts that are not readily available. To accomplish the development of these parts or templates plans lay outs cuts forms shapes and assembles complex sheet metal items.
- Also may use developed patterns/layouts prefabricated templates or old part as a sample scribes outline on sheet metal and cuts out scribed part using shears Do-All saw and turret punch.
- Forms metal using cornice brake punch press drill press and similar metal forming tools.
- Finish and smooth edges of metal sheet after cutting and assembles component sheet metal piece with rivets screws nuts and bolts. Aligns drills and reams material for installation of various types of riveting and taking precautions to protect dissimilar metals.
- Applies necessary protective compounds special insulating protective tape plastic cement fiberglass resins etc.
- Independently lays out template transcribes information from template and manufactures double contour parts with configuration in several planes.
- Assembles and fastens fabricated parts by installing bolts rivets screws and/or seaming.
- Ensures finished aircraft parts meet quality standards for soundness strength appearance in accordance with specification and/or similar requirements.
- Employee may be required to work inside fuel tanks (e.g. CH 47) or other confined spaces.
- Follows all safety procedures and for using appropriate personal protective equipment to include checking protective devices for proper operation and maintains a safe clean work environment.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Possess good communication skills; be adaptable diversified and capable of troubleshooting entire aircraft system.
- Working knowledge of electrical electronic mechanical and associated systems principles to complete properly all probable work tasks.
- Knowledge of Quality Control Production and Supply procedures required to perform job assignment.
- Able to properly use a variety of common hand tools and measuring devices such as gauges torque wrenches and scales and test measurement and diagnostic equipment related to specific aircraft models.
- Able to determine when faulty systems or assemblies can be corrected through repair of replacement of new parts and the nature and extent of repair required.
- Must have skill in reading applying and interpreting technical data.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to climb stand stoop bend stretch crouch and work in tiring and uncomfortable positions.
- Frequently lift parts and equipment up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally lift objects up to 50 pounds.
- Most heavy lifting is accomplished through the use of mechanical devices.
- Must be immediately deployable to potential combat areas worldwide.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- US Citizen
- Two (2) or more years of actual experience in the repair modification maintenance and overhaul of aircraft required.
- Valid up-to-date A&P license. If no A&P license shall have three (3) years aviation maintenance experience two (2) years rotary wing aircraft experience and two (2) years on the assigned Mission Design Series (MDS). All experience must be within the six (6) most recent years.
- Shall be able to read and understand engineering drawings and welding symbols fabricates manufacture-welded parts from engineering drawing without direct supervision performs fusion welding and torch brazing for ground support equipment ensuring the procedure is completed per the requirements of the national welding and brazing codes and specifications (American Welding Specification (AWS) D17.1M:2010 AMD1 Specification for Fusion Welding for Aerospace Applications.
- Shall be able to weld a wide variety of materials such as aluminum magnesium alloyed and low alloy steel stainless steel and nickel alloy steels.
- Shall have knowledge of the materials to select the correct filler materials and shielding gas when generating the Weld Procedure Specification (WPS) and produce flight critical welds and assist in the development process of generating Weld Procedure Specifications as mandated by welding codes and specifications.
Amentum Company Overview
The following jobs have been promoted on the Aviation Ad Network and are to be considered - current, newsworthy aviation employment information (FYI). No guarantee is made as to the accuracy, completeness or timeliness of any information, projections or opinions in announcements obtained through the promoted jobs. The information contained in this announcement is compiled for the convenience of site visitors and is accepted by the site visitor on the condition that errors or omissions are not the responsibility of Avjobs and shall not be made the basis for any claim, demand or cause of action. Please visit this companys web site for additional details and information. Please reference Avjobs when applying.